New Epidaurus is a village in the Argolis . Located on the east side of Argolis, near the border with Corinthia. It belongs to the municipality of Epidaurus and its population according to the 2001 census is 1,127 inhabitants
On December 20, 1821 in Piada began the first National Assembly of the Greeks and was completed on 16 January 1822. Attended by 59 representatives from most regions under revolution who voted in this Assembly set blue and white as the color of the flag. On April 6, 1826 under the presidency of Panoutso Notaras began the Third National Assembly which however ceased operations on April 16 and continued a year after in Troizina.
The main occupation of the inhabitants is agriculture, livestock and fisheries. During the summer season they work their tourism businesses like hotels, restaurants and bars.
Active role in the life of the country has the cultural association which organizes educational and recreational excursions. Every year the celebration of the Ascension, and further commemorate local patron of the village Martyr Leonides with various events.
On the hill of Vassa was found a settlement (2000-1000 BC), which was maintained during the Mycenaean period. Today visiting it is a bit difficult. An important sight of the area is the ” Castle of New Epidaurus ” which during the Byzantine period strengthened the fortification and in 1205 came in possession of the Venetians. We were impressed by the fact that to reach the Castle,you have to cross houses courtyards.
MONUMENT OF A ‘ETHNOSYNELEFSIS
In New Epidaurus held the First National Assembly of the revolutionary Greek State on 20 December 1821. The National Assembly of Epidaurus voted the new year of 1822 the first Greek constitution and established the Greek flag with blue and white colour. At that time the new Epidavros called ‘Piada’ and after release was renamed to its present name.
On December 20, 1821, in Piada village began opperations of the first National Assembly. Sixty representatives were asked to decide on the first constitution of Greece, the matter undoubtedly would be great, since it would create the conditions for integrated military and civil administration of the rebellious Greeks, limiting simultaneously ambitions and contradictions, mainly social, objectively existed or expressed in the form of localism, either in the form of personal antagonisms. On the merits, the Epidaurus National Assembly had as its mission to reflect accurately the correlation of social forces within the Revolution, giving leadership in that class – or class alliance – which was or could at this moment be shown the strongest, the most consistent, the most organized political and ideological.
The Assembly of Epidaurus – writes T. Vournas- “was not in fact representative body of the fighting Greek people, but construct of the lords. In Roumeli and Hydra, the representatives appointed by the local administrative governing bodies, while in the Morea were appointments from the Peloponnesian Senate and conducted fake ellections “.
New Year’s Day of 1822, the National Assembly proclaimed the independence of the Greek nation, which was the first official act of the revolutionary Greece.
The representative of Friendly Forum, Ypsilantis took the honorary post of president of the Parliamentary. The representative of notables Al. Mavrokordatos became president of the Executive, ie the Government
Furthermore, the Assembly approved the provisional constitution of Greece, where at 7 parts, 10 chapters and 107 articles, among others, preached religious tolerance and recognized as a dominant religion orthodox east, ensured the equality of citizens before the law establishes freedom of the press with only a few restrictions and clarify the organization of the state. In particular, it was planned to create two chambers: The advisory, which would be 70 deputies and the executive, which would have been 5 members. Chairman of the Executive – the government, namely – Al elected. Mavrokordatos and presided advisory – was an honorary office without power – up to D. Ypsilanti.
ANCIENT THEATRE EPIDAURUS
The ancient theater was built by architect Polycleitus the Younger as Pausanias . Pausanias commends the theater for symmetry and beauty. With a maximum capacity of 13000-14000 spectators theater. Hosted musicians, singing and dramatic contests which included the cult of Asclepius. Also used as a means of treating patients, as it was believed that the observation of dramatic performances had beneficial effects on mental and physical health of patients.
The monument attracts a large number of Greek and foreign visitors and is used for the presentation of ancient drama . The first performance in the theater of Epidaurus was the tragedy Electra Sophocles staged in 1938, directed by Dimitris Rontiris, starring Katina Paxinou and Eleni Papadaki.
The performances were stopped then because of the second world war. Theatrical performances, under the organized festival, began in 1954 and the following year (1955) was established as an annual event presentation of ancient drama. The Epidaurus Festival continues today and is carried out during the summer months.
The theater has been occasionally used to host major musical events. Under the Epidaurus Festival Epidaurus have appeared in some of the greatest Greek and foreign actors, but also the famous Greek soprano Maria Callas.
LITTLE THEATRE OF ANCIENT EPIDAURUS
Acropolis of the ancient city of Epidaurus in S.W. hillside, founded in the earliest period Asklepios, the small theater, public expression needs of the time,
but mainly for the events of the Dionysian cult, so it was dedicated to the god Dionysus. From the dedicatory inscriptions, that the construction of the theater was held the 4th c., by sponsoring prominent rulers and elite people of the local community of that time. Feature of the theater is the inscriptions, which are a real – live museum. For that reason called “spake theater”. After 23 centuries of silence, in 1971 he began the excavation.
Each July, here in the little theater, performed important musical events of the Ministry of Development, which includes them in the program of summer cultural activities of N.O.T., which in turn, since 1998, has placed the production organization & performance of “Musical July programs“, the Athens Concert Hall organization.
Sunken city EPIDAURUS
Located opposite the ancient harbor which was next to the Cave and beneath the Acropolis, which was on the Island. At minimum depth is the sunken city. It is a remarkable sight that everyone would like to see. The access is very easy either by boat or by swimming. Worth a dive mask to admire what is left of it ..
Between the town of New Epidaurus and Saint Martyr Leonides and His escort, consisting of seven women, there is a sacred and holy bond. When he began this holy relationship not know exactly. However, some elements that bear witness to this sacred relationship.
In 1833 the vicar of the community priest Nicholas Natsoulis built a temple in honor and glory of St. Leonides.
In 1916 after continuous dreams, pious inhabitants of Epidaurus, asked to “found a hidden treasure” under the foundations of the ruins of the church of the Blessed Virgin.
When, finally they dug the point that had been suggested, in principle were sacred icon of the Virgin and then to 70 cm depth, revealed seven skeletons as demonstrated belonged to women. At the same time, it presented and stone plate which he moved revealed male skeleton who testified that the man he had been strangled while fragrance emerged from the tomb.
The Martyrdom of St and seven escort
St. Leonides and his entourage consisting of seven women, were arrested in Great Saturday of the year 250 AD and taken to Corinth before the proconsul Venoustou ruler, who asked them to deny their faith to escape their lives. Saint and for Him Women motionless in their love for God and Christianity, not agreed to changed their religion. Sentenced to death. St. Leonides him hanged and “ripped”. After the holy relic with seven women led to the sea. On the way women sang and praised God. “One Milion edramon Lord, with troops drove out Lord, and CDR irnisamin in, Lord, my soson spirit.” Boat traveled approximately four miles away from the coast. There, after being tied to stones thrown at the bottom, a day before the Holy Easter. Christians of Epidaurus, watching from a distance the dramatic moments of the saint and the seven women Saints perisynellexan dead bodies and buried.
The New Epidaurus castle is medieval settlement which evolved into a modern, on a hill with a natural fortification, over a precipice and on the sea.
Castle of New Epidaurus as a settlement already existed since Byzantine times. In 1205 it passed to the jurisdiction of the Venetians who strengthened the fortification.
The settlement was inhabited until today, but only a few remnants survive from the walls of the Venetian fortress at the top of the citadel of the settlement.
Construction, Architectural, Fortification Elements
Perimeter there are remnants of the walls that are visible from the village. At the top, inside the castle, there are a few ruins and a church is the only building.
Castle leads narrow lane running from the main street of the village (signposted).
The alley has plakostrothei relatively recently and the climb is easy and quick.
The national road between Corinth to Epidaurus, is positioned from the depths of centuries an important monastery with great history and many spiritual treasures, known as the “Lady of Agnanti ‘
The old name was Abbey of Agnountos and this name refers to documents that have been saved. Her name is not known from where it arises. Some consider it a derivative of the word pure and some of the verb gazing, because the location is excellent and one can gaze across the surrounding area.
Its foundation dates back to the 11th AD century. In western riser is embossed lion’s head. The format is magnificent, although the desert and demolished in several aspects. The whole complex is square and surrounded by a high stone wall. On the west side survived imiereipomenoi both protective of towers, of which one is kept in good condition. In the center of the west side is the main entrance and directly opposite is Catholic, that is the most important monument. To get there, first going through an arched stone portico and go out on the patio. Terrace called the inner courtyard, surrounding the Catholic. Around there are consecutive two-storey houses, with wooden sheds, almost destroyed by humidity and time.
The architectural plan is basilica with a dome of 17 meters. All their style is Byzantine. The walls of the temple are stone, but well prepared and very solid, so it has withstood several earthquakes. The roof rises to an octagonal shape with four narrow windows. The dome is leaning on a quadrilateral wall, which rises from the center of the temple and covered with hemispherical roof with very old tiles, while the top of the towering stone beautiful carved cross. The walls are covered in full, with amazing frescoes, while the temple is 300 years.
The temple is dedicated to the Assumption and is celebrated with great pomp on August 15, with hundreds of worshipers from all over Greece.
The Archangels Monastery is one hundred meters left of the old national highway leading from Ligourio in Corinth
This monastery is situated beneath the imposing mass of Mount Arachnaio, which is the natural border between Argolis and Corinth. Very close to the road an artistic circular shrine, with a tiled roof, notifies the passerby on the existence of Archangels Monastery.
The monastery was built around the mid 15th century by a team of monks who came down from the mountain monastery Kalami. From the temple and the original buildings of the monastery does not seem to exist today, only part of those who relied on the first renovation of the monastery 1593.Fainetai that the original buildings were made of base materials not survived time and weather conditions, since no mention of an earthquake or other destructive energy. Lifetime abbot, was appointed by the Patriarchate, the monk Damascene thanks the zeal, diligence and afford whose monastery was renovated.
The sorority took the baton and continued the life history of the monastery in the fall of 1945 with general manager monk Theoklitos Samiotis. In November 1949 he took igoumeneia the Christonymfi Panayotopoulos until May 2006 that died.
The old church of Archangels Monastery was demolished in the year 1945 and in its place was built the present church in the care of female brotherhood of the monastery. The new temple, compact style is Byzantine cruciform with a dome. Later to save space, added to the original building is a narrow oblong vestibule, which removes the edifice even more than the Byzantine models. However, the present church of the Archangels is very nicely decorated and ideal for the daily prayers of the monks and accommodation of visitors. Opposite the church, on the west side, formerly the main entrance of the monastery, which today has shifted to the southeast edge of the rectangular building of the monastery. Exomonastiriako remarkable building is the cemetery of the monastery. This is also compact and is dedicated to St. George.
The monastery accepts all these years the endless stream of pilgrims. Hosts conferences and seminars, trippers, pilgrims, members of the scientific and religious associations and continues to be an attraction and benchmark abbess Makaria Mastrogianni.
Visitors can arrive in New Epidaurus by car (located 130 km from Athens), passing by the beautiful forest of Sofiko, is just 40 km from Nafplion. Furthermore running frequent bus service from Athens and Nafplion.